Creating a child theme is the only way the original theme can be regularly updated and changes kept – if you use the theme editor, the changes are overwritten with the first update. The simple way to create a child theme is to use the free Orbisius Child Theme Creator plugin.
How to use the Orbisius Child Theme Creator plugin
- Log in to your store, find and install the plugin.
- Open Appearance menu and click Orbisius Child Theme Creator.
- Pick which theme you want to create a child theme version and then click Create Child Theme.
4. To edit a child theme, use Orbisius Theme Editor.
5. Select which child theme and edit files as needed. If you want to edit or remove the footer links, select the
footer.php file. Deleting everything in the file removes the footer links.
6. If you want to add customizations to the theme, select the style.css file.
7. The plugin also allows you to copy snippets from one theme to the other. This is relevant when you want to create a new child version with more theme changes.
8. You have the option to preview the changes first before hitting Save.
You see the changes you made when the child theme is active.